Monday, January 5, 2015

Things I Missed: "Indigo Child"- Raury

A blog is versatile, and I can basically write whatever I want. I set certain boundaries for myself, to make this blog as professional as possible, and one restriction I set was to write about recent music. But some projects fall through the cracks, and are too wonderful to not write about. So I'm creating a new section, entitled "Things I Missed", where I will be writing about old releases that I found recently and I fell in love with. One such project is Indigo Child by Raury.

Raury is an 18 year old Atlanta native, who has recently been co-signed by the likes of Drake, Kanye West, OutKast, Lorde, and others. And for very good reason. Last year, Raury dropped his first full length mixtape Indigo Child. About half of the thirteen tracks are skits or interludes, often featuring fighting, but the rest of the project is pure bliss. Raury blends together rock and hip-hop to create an entirely new genre, somewhat similar to The Love Below, but less funky. Raury sings/raps over huge, grandiose folky/rocky production. Raury sounds like a mix of Andre 300, Bon Iver, and Kid Cudi all in one. Not only is his production amazing, but Raury altering between signing and rapping will keep your attention. Foreverness is a major theme on this project, whether dealing with the foreverness of love, or dealing with becoming numb to your surroundings. Indigo Child is a amazing accomplishment for a seventeen year old, and I can't wait to hear more.

No comments:

Post a Comment